Thursday, March 12, 2009


Hostess in a hurry!

It’s 4:30 in the afternoon on a weekday. I am relieved the day is over, and look at the disarray my home is. Nothing is on the calendar. It will be nice to have a low key dinner and play some games with the children afterwards. The cleaning can wait.

My husband’s James Bond ring tone sounds from my cell phone in my purse. I frantically dig and find it buried at the very bottom. He quickly lets me know he is bringing a co-worker home. Ack! My dreams of a relaxing night have flown out the window in a 3 minute conversation.

Okay – breathe – "Om." Pick up, vacuum, clean the downstairs bathroom, and make a quick appetizer. With only 2 hours to spare I put on my mental Wonder Woman costume and get to work.


An hour and a half later the only thing left to tackle is my no fail appetizer.

Bree’s Bruschetta

Put on your apron & preheat oven to 350.

1 loaf French bread sliced 1 inch thick
1 10 oz jar Classico Traditional Basil Pesto
4 Roma or 2 regular tomatoes diced
1 8oz Mozzarella cheese grated

Place sliced bread on a cookie sheet. Spread 1 tablespoon pesto on each slice. Sprinkle with grated mozzarella and top with diced tomatoes. Place in oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly golden on the edges. Wallah!


For all you Desperate Housewives fans the Bree I’m referring to in my recipe's name is Bree Van de Kamp of Wisteria Lane. Only looking like it has been made by Bree – someone as domestically challenged in the kitchen as Susan Mayer can make this. Serve with a nice red wine, of course adorning your glasses with wine charms and you are ready – no super powers needed!

No comments: